May 18, 2023
TIME: 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Speaker: Joanne Kamens, PhD
Moderator: Manas Mandal / Kim Huynh-Ba
Mentors and sponsors can play multifaceted roles in personal development and career advancement. Mentors support growth and development throughout your career. Sponsorship plays a key role in gaining opportunities for advancement in your organization and field. This workshop will explore actionable ways to meet, engage and interact with mentors and sponsors.
- Learn the difference between mentorship and sponsorship
- How to “make the ask” of a potential mentor or sponsor
- Be introduced to mentoring relationship models that are a benefit to all
- Get practical ideas for utilizing the support of a mentor or sponsor
TIME: 1:00 – 2:30 p.m.
Speaker: Steffi Pluschkell, Ph.D.
Moderator: Adeola Coker / Lauren Stevenson
A fundamental dilemma in all organizations is how to foster cognitive diversity of thought and ideas that improves decision quality while simultaneously minimizing affective conflict that can have negative effects on consensus building, implementation effectiveness and organizational performance. This session takes a closer look at the causes and symptoms of conflict in the workplace, and will help you raise your awareness and sensitivity towards addressing undesirable conflict before negative effects spread out of your control. Techniques for issue-driven, courageous conversations will be shared, followed by insights and tips on how reach and sustain closure with compassion and clarity.
- Learn to distinguish different types of conflict and rapidly notice undesirable effects.
- Understand how to prepare for an issue-driven conversation and initiate courageous dialogue.
- Discover how to keep conflict constructive and build trust with employees.